QT Problems can occur on RH6.1 (aka: Re: kdevelop don't find libraries)

Roland Knall roland.knall at cosy.sbg.ac.at
Mon Oct 18 22:56:07 BST 1999

Rene Märten wrote on Wed, 13 Oct 1999:
> Am Wed, 13 Oct 1999 schriebst Du zwecks "kdevelop don't find libraries" :
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm using Kdevelop 1.0 beta3 (from rpm-packet) on RH6.1.
> >

> > When i try to compile MyWidget (Hello World) tutorial, error follows
> > (messages window):
> >
> > ----------
> > g++  -c main.cpp -o main.o
> > main.cpp:18:mywidget.h: No such file or directory
> > main.cpp:18:qapplication.h: No such file or directory
> > main.cpp:18:qpushbutton.h: No such file or directory
> > make: *** [main.o] Error 1
> > *** failed ***
> --
> email 1: delta_x at linuxCoding.de
> email 2: delta_x at gmx.net
> home   : HTTP://WWW.LinuxCoding.DE
>
> today i had the same problems with my friend on RH6
> i figured out that there no variable $QTDIR
> type in the set command and look out
> for the system envoirement QTDIR
> if it isnt there than you got the problem...install SuSe Linux :)
> ( i doesnt know what the real problem !)
Great idea!

Here is something that really works, and which is also important for every
other RedHat 6.1 user.
On RedHat 6.1 there exists two Versions of QT (and therefore two rpm packages) QT-1.44 (package something like qt1x...) and
QT-2.0.1 (something like qt-i386...)
It seems that RedHat wants two make life complicated for KDE Users ;-) As
always there exists more than one solution. First an easy way, second the
better way:

1. Edit your existing /etc/profile, or ~/.bash_profile two set somewhere in the
file: export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-1.44 Sometimes QT-1.44 lays underneath
usr/local, so modify the path if you need to. If you are using the latest
snapshots use /usr/lib/qt-2.0.1 instead, but realize that QT 1.44 programms are
not compatible two higher versions of QT. I would recommend QT-1.44 'til KDE2
arrives, use QT-2.0.1 only if you develop for further releases.

2. There should exist a directory called /etc/profile.d Underneath this
directory lays some scripts for setting environment variables. If there exists
no qt.sh (or qt.csh for C-Shell Users) then use way 1. In the File qt.sh first
it is tested if QTDIR is already set, and if not it is set to /usr/lib/qt-2.0.1
Set the path to qt-1.44 I set also a second environment variable called QTDIR2
with the path of qt-2.0.1, but this will take no effect if you do not modify
makefiles of QT-2.0.1 programms to use the new version instead of the old one.

Hope this helps!
Roland