AW: [Fwd: KDevelop changes]

Rob Gillen borgille at globalfrontiers.com
Mon Oct 4 18:34:59 BST 1999

So, what's the problem with making money off of OPEN SOURCE software?  I
would think that anything developed (for profit or not) with KDevelop
would be a tribute to the people who designed and contributed to the
tool.  To suggest that someone not extend an application created in an
open environment is tantamount to saying that profit-oriented
corporations such as Red Hat and Corel should not add value oriented
changes to Linux--it defeats the whole purpose of OPEN SOURCE movement.
And the point of that is to create software that is open to peer review
for correction and stability.  The point is, if you don't want someone
to use something for their own gain, then *your* project should not be
OPEN SOURCE.  Besides, whatever additions are made to KDevelop will be
absorbed into the collective at some time or other benefitting us all.
'Tis the nature of OPEN SOURCE.

--
RG