[Fwd: KDevelop changes]

Catalin Climov catalin at pmsd.com
Mon Oct 4 17:31:01 BST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Micko Roland <Roland.Micko at icn.siemens.de>
To: <kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 9:43 AM
Subject: AW: [Fwd: KDevelop changes]

Even so Ralf didn't commented this and Markus and some other find this
discussion boring, I just want to make a statement to get some personal
clarification.
If I understood the first paragraph correctly, the goal of Shawn Gordon is
to take the current KDevelop, change it and insert a plug in support. As he
takes the current KDevelop he is unable to leave the OPEN SOURCE, but the
plug ins will not be published under OPEN SOURCE, so he can get some money
of it. If I'm right, also I hope that I'm not, IMHO forget to design a new
KDevelop together with them. Because then their only goal is to use the OPEN
SOURCE community to get a stable release of a product and afterwards make
money with it :-(.

Well, you almost got the point :-). But:
1. We will sell the Cobol compiler we have. It's our right to do that.
2. We will not sell KDevelop. In fact, KDevelop will be just a commodity for
Cobol developers. The compiler will work without KDev, as well.
3. We have not decided yet whether the plugin will be open source or not.
Without the compiler, it will be useless, anyway :-).
4. It's about common interests. If KDevelop team and The Kompany have common
interests, then we should cooperate.

XXL.

Roland Micko
ICN CA MR EG 2