ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

Catalin Climov catalin at pmsd.com
Fri Oct 1 10:22:20 BST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Bernd Gehrmann <bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de>
To: <kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

> > b. The original team is working a lot on improving and bug solving on
the
> > actual design/implementation. I doubt that they will have time for a
> > re-design soon (that would mean that for a long period of time KDevelop
will
> > mark no visible progress).
>
> That's wrong.
Why ?

> > We don't want (just) another IDE, we just want to improve KDevelop.
>
> Sure. That's probably the reason why I've not seen a _single_ patch
> by you. Neither does your name appear anywhere on bugs.kde.org.
It's not about patching or bug reporting. It's about redesign. And about my
postings, some time ago (two month or maybe more) I tried to implement Java
support for KDevelop (check the list archive for more details). And I
realised that a simple hack is not enough (even if Java seems so close to
C++). So I asked (on this list) whether should I branch KDevelop and make
the Java IDE a separate one, or just start patching KDevelop. And the answer
was something like "don't branch, wait until KDevelop is stable enough, and
then we'll see". And you must admit that that kind of answer sounds very
encouraging :-). Since then I saw lots of postings on this list asking for
more flexibility, asking support for plugins, more languages, etc. And many
of them remained unanswered (something like "yeah, I think we will implement
that at some point in future" is not an answer). If I'm wrong then why do we
(still) have to download the integrated debugger (not KDebug) as a patch ?
After some time I found out that I'm not the only one who dreams about a
complete modular KDevelop, so we gathered and decided to do something about
this. So I sent I mail (two weeks ago) to Sandy announcing him about our
plans, and I did not receive any answer (not even something like "wait. we
(core team) are talking about this and we will let you know the decisions we
made. We will contact you later.").
We waited another two week, hoping that Sandy will eventually decide that we
deserve an answer. And again, I made another announcement (the day before
yesterday), but this time I made it public and I made it a little more
agressive, hoping it will make waves (and it did :-)).
We don't want to start a war on this, we just want to cooperate. I wonder,
since you accept patches from individuals, why are you so reticent when it's
about cooperating with another team ?

Regards,
XXL.