Slow response times

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 30 20:05:04 GMT 1999

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Has any one else noticed how slowly the watch window updates during a debug
> session. When an assignment is single step'd over the watch window seems to
> take many seconds to reflect the new variable value. This appears especially
> bad when assigning values to QString's.

That's odd. It's okay here with kde1 apps. It's bad with kde2 apps.

I haven't done any testing yet but I suspect gdb slows down when it's dealing
with a lot of debugging information (i.e debugging symbols in your app, in kde
libraries and in the qt libraries) (But that's just an untested theory based on
the fact that I have full debugging in kde2, but only debugging on the app in
kde1)

I'd be interested to find out what the problem is. Rather than pollute this
list, can you email me directly.

> No comments please about good code shouldn't need resort to a debugger :)
>
> I think it would be very nice to have the abilty to add the variable with
> cursor positioned over it directly into the watch window.

TBD

> Typing every variable by hand is tedious and error prone. Maybe you can do
> it and I haven't found it  yet !

It's also awful that you have to click "add" rather than just type "enter". The
interface is still not up to scratch, due to having spent very little time on
that part.

You don't need to type them by hand though, you can use the middle mouse button
to copy text into the watch window. (If you don't have a middle mouse button
then it is simulated by left and right together).

 --
Regards,

jbb
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jbb