SUGGESTION: Bookmarks are all wrong! Gone horribly wrong. (long rant)

Daniel Beckham danbeck at mtginfo.com
Tue Nov 30 15:20:06 GMT 1999

I like the patch that Roland Schäfer wrote that shows bookmarks in a left
hand gutter columns, but the entire way that bookmarks are implemented in
kdevelop are all wrong to begin with.  I don't think they work and they
aren't easy to use... I don't even bother because it's faster for me to
page up/page down until I find my place, instead of having to go to a menu
option, pick the view and then try to figure out which line I'm looking
for...  all wrong.

Here is the *right* way to do it. (IMHO) =)

1)  The menu options are fine, but there really should be a context
sensitive menu option using the right click mouse button...  right click on
a line, set a bookmark... easy eh?  Almost as easy as the default key
binding. (ctrl-alt-a)

2)  There should be accelerator keys to help you navigate through the book
marks...  Say... F2 is bound to "Goto Next Bookmark" and it takes you to
the next book mark below your current cursor position..  when you get to
the bottom of the page, it just does a warp 9 back to the top and finds the
first bookmark in the page.  That way, you can cycle through sections of
your code *very* quickly.   e.g. "Add some code... hit F2 to jump to your
var declaration section and add a new var... hit F2 to jump back to your
bookmarked code you were just working in."

"But there are three windows you can bookmark", you say.  "How do you use
F2 to jump between those views?"  Easy... just click on the tab at the top
of the window.. that's how you move between the three panes anyway isn't it?

3)  There seriously should be some sort of left handed gutter for
Kdevelop.  Roland Schäfer's patch does implement this, but only in a static
way.

BTW, the anchor is, visually, a bad choice for a bookmark icon. It's begins
to look like code after a while and it's bad that it's almost the same
color.  It should have been a bright red, blue, orange or green circle that
clearly draws your eyes to the bookmark... that's what it's for... to
*mark* a place...

Back to the gutter issue.  There needs to be gutter that visually shows the
bookmarks and allows you to set and remove a bookmark by clicking on a
particular line inside the gutter itself.  If you already have your hand on
the mouse and want to set a bookmark, you could just click the gutter at
the right point and viola!  Bookmark set, continue on with your life...

Another feature that the gutter would be useful for is for line
numbers.  It would be much easier to see what line you are on or are
approaching, by looking at the gutter.  Otherwise, you have to move your
eyes to the status bar to find the line number... and then continue looking
to make sure you hit the right line number you are looking for.  This is a
visual IDE, not vi or pico.  We are in X-Windows... we should take
advantage of the fact that we have all this graphical real estate that's
not being used and add useful indicator information...

Ok, there was my *nice* rant about bookmarks.  What do you guys think about
this?  Do you find the bookmarks easy to use?  Do you think they could be
improved?  I personally don't think they are useful at all, in their
current state.

Daniel