Debugger patch

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Sat Nov 20 22:13:05 GMT 1999

Hi,

There's a new  update (0.9) of the debugger patch available

It addresses two problems in using gdb as the debugger engine.

.. Force breakpoints to be set even if application is running.
  Just click in the editor "gutter" and the breakpoint will be set even when
  your application is running. This stops and restarts the application
  automatically.

.. Breakpoints in dynamic loaded libraries
  This allows you to set a breakpoint in a module that hasn't been loaded into
  memory. The breakpoint remains "pending" until the library is loaded. The
  code is specific to dlopen currently, but should be changed in the future.
  I know two problems (er, bugs)  in using this feature, both in regards
  to unloading the library

  . If the library is dynamically unloaded then the debugger code may end up
    confused.
    You need to "stop" the debugger in this situation.

  . When the application exits, and you then try to restart, gdb will fail
    to start properly, again confusing the debugger code.
    As before, just "stop" the debugger, and then restart.

Both these options can be turned off by modifying the hardwired switches in
gdbcontroller.cpp and recompiling.

There may be other problems I've not encountered, but as far as I can tell it
works well enough. I'd be very interested in hearing how people get on with
this new patch.

--
Regards,

jbb