KDevelop with MySQL

Daniel Beckham danbeck at mtginfo.com
Wed Nov 17 14:49:42 GMT 1999

At 06:19 PM 11/16/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Tom,
>not that I want to impose you some programming standards,
>but why would you want to program directly to the mysql
>API? It may be initially easier todo, but you will lose the
>flexibility to change the database for instance.

Not with a good wrapper class.  Using generic methods, etc., you could
easily just change the underlying code for you new database engine.

>Is ODBC on Linux much slower than direct API programming?

Yes, much slower.  You are connecting to odbc, which in turn, is connecting
to the mysql engine...  odbc is also a generic driver that is not optimized
for speed, but for being the most generic interface available for database
connectivity.

Direct DB Engine Access == Good
Slow ODBC Connectivity == Bad

Besides, other than moving to Oracle... why on earth would you want to
change from MySQL to something else?

Daniel