Qt Documentation Crashes

Robert Robert
Wed Nov 10 06:32:39 GMT 1999

On Sun, 07 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> KDevelop is crashing on me whenever I try to access the Qt
> documentation.  I read through the message thread between Holger Knust,
> Stefan Pfeiffer, and Anthony Tekatch but was unable to fix the problem
> by using those suggestions.  I did have both libjpeg 61 and 62
> installed.  I moved 61 and recreated my links so that they point to 62,
> but it still crashes.

I've had tons of fun with this one myself.  I seem to have the problem pretty well covered with
bailing wire and duct tape now.  This is what I've had to do, and why.  (If I'm wrong, someone
please correct me.)

The KDE libraries want to link with libjpeg 61.  In KDevelop, when looking at the QT docs, it is
a KDE function doing the jpeg loading.  The QT libs (1.44) want to link with libjpeg 62.  I have set
my symbolic links named 'libjpeg.so', and 'libjpeg.so.6' to point to libjpeg.so.6.0.1.  These, of
course, are the libs in the kde/lib directory.  I've created a new symbolic link which I named
'libjpeg62.so' and set to point at 'libjpeg.so.62.0.0'.  Now, when a KDE app is compiled and
linked, if it requires libjpeg (at run time) it will use the 61 version.  When I compile a QT app
that needs jpeg support, I explicitly link to 'libjpeg62', which it also will find at run time.

Bottom line, the two versions of libjpeg are incompatable and _must_ be kept separate.

Have I boarded the right bus?

--
Robert M. Wheat, Jr.
belran at worldnet.ibm.net