Other comments (Belonging to QextMDI)

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 07:32:17 GMT 1999

Massimo Morin wrote:

> Hi guys
>    here are other comments.
> A little reply on the answeres to my previous email:
I see. Very little. ;-)

> > Great idea.
> Which one? The panner or the pager??
Both of them. But more the pager because it's closer to the current
stuff and that's why easier to implement. The panner could probably
bring troubles with the current class design. But also a pager with a
big or with several desktops is a lot of work and could make it all a
little complicated. But why not a choise.

> > Together with a desktop bigger than the visible area it
> > could be offered in a choise as alternative.
> Do you mean as a virtual screen on the desktop??
Yep, but better as child widget in KDevelop.

> > I already thought about
> > dock/undock using the "Window" main menu item. But currently I would be
> > glad, if the taskbar worked right. ;-) Do you want to join the project?
> > You could implement these features...
> I don't know from were to start. I cannot garantee, but if you give me
> some documentation a couple of hints I can see what I can do!
Supi! Well, currently you must live with the source code only.
Documentation comes when the class design is standing firm.
But it's quite intuitive. Just try to debug the example application and
see where some methods go and how they call each other. That's what I
did as I took it out of kvirc.

> > Click the right mouse button on the taskbar button and choose
> > "Dock".
> Don't see it. Is it in the kde2 feature??
Yes, in the kdevelop2 snapshot. The taskbar below the MDI area. I
thought you already had seen it.

> > thought about a fourth button called "Dock" in the toplevel window but
> > that would be more than programming Qt.
> Why not adding a menu to the MDI window (under the blanck sheet)
> containing the fuctions you want to add.
Mmh. That could be a solution. Well, but I wanted to avoid wasting
window space. But if the window taskbar is so much unclear...

>To me it seems more
> reasonable than adding buttons.... (less confusing).
It's only one button for Undock. I think it's less than a menu bar.

> During the last compilation I had problems with the documentaion: it
> seems some files are missing.....
Anyone has wrecked the snapshot CVS tree. Ignore it, nevertheless it
should work.

> BTW from snapshot 19991101 and 19991104 kdevelop shrinked of 170kb: what
> happend???
The bits were getting smaller. (joke of the week)

--

Ciao,
--Falk