Other comments

Massimo Morin mmorin at schedsys.com
Thu Nov 4 22:50:11 GMT 1999

Hi guys
   here are other comments.
A little reply on the answeres to my previous email:

To  Falk Brettschneider <gigafalk at geocities.com>
> >    If I may, the panner is nicer than the scroolbar, but I havent seen
> >    any in Qt or KDE.
> >    For whom who doesn't know: panner is a miniaturization of the
> >    viewable area, with a second highlighted rectangle that shows the
> >    actual view area: dragging this rectangle shows the different portion
> >    of the viewvable area.
> >    It could be also cool to have a pager with different workspaces....
> Great idea.
Which one? The panner or the pager??

> Together with a desktop bigger than the visible area it
> could be offered in a choise as alternative.
Do you mean as a virtual screen on the desktop??

> I already thought about
> dock/undock using the "Window" main menu item. But currently I would be
> glad, if the taskbar worked right. ;-) Do you want to join the project?
> You could implement these features...
I don't know from were to start. I cannot garantee, but if you give me
some documentation a couple of hints I can see what I can do!

> > o  I like the idea of dragging out the editing window from the editing
> >    area. Is there any way to redrag it in the editing area?
> Click the right mouse button on the taskbar button and choose
> "Dock".
Don't see it. Is it in the kde2 feature??

> thought about a fourth button called "Dock" in the toplevel window but
> that would be more than programming Qt.
Why not adding a menu to the MDI window (under the blanck sheet)
containing the fuctions you want to add. To me it seems more
reasonable than adding buttons.... (less confusing). In this
prespective the edit window inside the editing area will behave
exactly as a "normal" window on the window manager!

> One must use pure XLib or
> Win32-API. And QextMDI (the library the MDI system bases on) is
> restricted to use only Qt (to keep portable to Win32)..
Keep it easy and simple.... do not mess around: too many troubles!
-------------

During the last compilation I had problems with the documentaion: it
seems some files are missing.....
Here is:

creating doc/de/manual/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/de/manual/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/de/welcome/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/de/welcome/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/de/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/de/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/en/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/en/addendum/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/addendum/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/en/cref/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/cref/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/en/kde_libref/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/kde_libref/Makefile.in: No such file or
directory
creating doc/en/manual/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/manual/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/en/programming/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/programming/Makefile.in: No such file or
directory
creating doc/en/tutorial/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/tutorial/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/en/welcome/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/en/welcome/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/fr/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/fr/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/fr/tutorial/Makefile
creating doc/es/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/es/Makefile.in: No such file or directory

-----------------

Making all in de
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/de'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/de'
Making all in en
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/en'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/en'
Making all in fr
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/fr'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/fr'
Making all in es
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/es'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc/es'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mmorin/kde/kde2/kdevelop/doc'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Let me know as usual what you think on the topics

Cheers
	Max

These comments applie to
kdevelop 19991101/19991104,  Qt 2.0.2, kdelibs and kdesupport
snapshot 19991001 on RH5.1
BTW from snapshot 19991101 and 19991104 kdevelop shrinked of 170kb: what
happend???

o  dunno why but I don't see any icon, but only buttons,  for the
   dialog editor for selecting the proper widget. I have only strings
   like QLabel, QProgressBar etc... It could be my misconfiguration
   problem, but I was pretty sure in the beta version there were icons
   there!

o  why is the listbox of the property without any icon for the
   subtree?? (the + or right arrow)

o  Cut and paste from documention doesn't work: I tried to copy a
   sample into an emacs buffer and neither the selction with the mosue
   nor the CTRL-C (in kdevelop) CTRL-Y (in emacs) worked..

o  In the editor the key arrows do not work as backspace pgUpand PgDn
   ...weird sometimes it works somether time it doesn't.

o  while accessing methods/memebrs the windows return to be qa small
   window 15x5 instead of remaining full screen...

o  editor: why not having the concept of line? It seems you can freely
   go in every part of the "writtable" part with the cursor and the
   mouse.
   In emacs when you go at the end of the line, if you press right
   arrow, you go to the first character of the next line: you do not
   go aheard indefinitivelly!
   To me it seems more reasonable the emacs behavior. If you click
   after the end of the line you are outomatically positionate on the
   end of the line!
   What do you think???
   How can you distinguish when a line is ended and when it is not???

o Indentation on the comments: the multiline comments should mantain
  the identation of the code: example (this has been generated by the
  class brouser when I added a new variable!)

protected: // Protected attributes
  /** A Pointer to our main editor window;
child widget of the KNewPanner;
This will contain the text to check out! */
  QMulitLineEdit* m_pMultiLineEdit;

  it could have been better in this way

protected: // Protected attributes
  /** A Pointer to our main editor window;
      child widget of the KNewPanner;
      This will contain the text to check out!
  */
  QMulitLineEdit* m_pMultiLineEdit;

  It could be a matter of taste, but the good identattion help making
  the code more readable!
  (BTW this could be the sintax of kdoc so... not much to do!).

o The tab key is not inserting anything in the editor

o Inserting the name of a Qt/KDE Dialog requires the file name to end
  in .kdevldg
  Well, we could add it directly (or if there is no extension)
  The filename entry is very small: try to add 32 characters (the only
  extensio is .kdevdlg = 8 chars!)

o in the dialog creation editor when I tryto chage the text property,
  the cursors,  the delete, backspace, CTRL-K, CTRL-D, CTRL-H do not
work!
  Am I missing something???
  What is bound to the return key in that??? An exit from the
  entry or a <CR> character?

o Changing the text property doesn't change the  label on the mask

o What is the action associated to a double click on the widget??? It
  could be cool (if nothing else available) to change the text
  property.

o changing any property, when you choose another object the setting
  you put get lost

--
                                               _...__..-'
Massimo Morin                                .'
mmorin at schedsys.com                        .'
+1 (617) 484 2999                        .'
                                       .'
      `   `;'-.-'         '-    ._     Scheduling Systems Inc.
        .--'``  '._      - '   .       Three University Office Park
         `""'-.    `---'    ,          95 Sawyer Road
 ''--..__      `\                      Waltham, 02453 Massachusetts USA
         ``''---'`\      .'            +1 (781) 893-0390 x 126
                   `'. '               http://www.schedsys.com
                     `'.