MDI system in snapshots (was: Re: other comments: 1 bug)

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at geocities.com
Mon Nov 1 08:35:45 GMT 1999

Hi,

Massimo Morin wrote:
>    here are other comments again. Well the new MDI interface looks
> great!
Thank you :-)

> o  It could be a good idea to put scroolbar on the editing area:
>    dragging a window outside of it will totally lose the window!
The 0.3alpha version will stop dragging it into the invisible area (It
works already for me now (haha!)). There will be no scrollbar in this
version.

>    If I may, the panner is nicer than the scroolbar, but I havent seen
>    any in Qt or KDE.
>    For whom who doesn't know: panner is a miniaturization of the
>    viewable area, with a second highlighted rectangle that shows the
>    actual view area: dragging this rectangle shows the different portion
>    of the viewvable area.
>    It could be also cool to have a pager with different workspaces....
Great idea. Together with a desktop bigger than the visible area it
could be offered in a choise as alternative. I already thought about
dock/undock using the "Window" main menu item. But currently I would be
glad, if the taskbar worked right. ;-) Do you want to join the project?
You could implement these features...

> o  I like the idea of dragging out the editing window from the editing
>    area. Is there any way to redrag it in the editing area?
Click the right mouse button on the taskbar button and choose "Dock". I
thought about a fourth button called "Dock" in the toplevel window but
that would be more than programming Qt. One must use pure XLib or
Win32-API. And QextMDI (the library the MDI system bases on) is
restricted to use only Qt (to keep portable to Win32)..

> o I didn't see any way/shortcut for jumping from editing window to
>   editing window (the alt-1 ... alt-n do not work). It could be good to
>   provide a "jumpig rotation" facility: a key that allow to circulate
>   between all the windows (perhaps skipping the *browser* window ;) ).
>   The classic CTRL-x o in emacs
added to TODO.

> o about the editing window: I like the kde behavior (configurable)
>   that when you double click on the title bar, the window will "wrap
>   up" and only the title bar will be visible.... why not this function
>   to the editign window too???
I reimplemented a whole window manager for the MDI system. Anyone must
also reimplement this feature.

--

Ciao,
--Falk