Interface for other editors (was: vi-mode possible?)

Matthias Kleine Matthias.Kleine at selflinux.de
Thu Dec 23 15:34:04 GMT 1999

> > If it's just the 10 most common keystrokes that you want to map,
> > I don't consider that as much of a gain (although it helps for simple
> > editing). That's not why people like to stick with vi or Emacs,
> > it's because of their feature richness (which makes them usually hard to
> > learn for beginners) why full-time programmers love them.

Which remembers me to the joke "Emacs would be a real good OS, but what
it needs is a simple editor!"

It´s true, a lot of vi functionality (in fact I only can talk about
vi) doesn´t make sense within KDevelop. You don´t need multiple
windows, recovering, shell commands, most of the vi options and so on.
But what is really great for good typers are the possibilities of
motion, changing/yanking/pasting text, use of maps, use of marks and
search/substitution by regular expressions. Reimlementing all this for
several editors would be definitely more work than implementing a
general editor interface.

Matthias

SelfLinux  http://www.selflinux.de  Matthias.Kleine at selflinux.de