new FAQ entry: several Qt versions

Mr. Data mr.data at nikocity.de
Wed Dec 22 21:37:47 GMT 1999

You wrote:

> Q: I want to develop with a newer Qt version than provided
>    with my current Unix distribution. How do I do that?
> A: Some things has to be done:
>    1.) The newer Qt version must be installed parallely.
>        [ For instance like this: /usr/lib/qt-1.44
>                                  and
>                                  /usr/lib/qt-2.0.2  ]
>    2.) The compiler looks in /usr/local/qt or /usr/lib/qt
>        while deciding for the right headers of a Qt library.
>        The link
>           /usr/local/qt --> /usr/lib/qt
>        is set in most of all cases.
>
>        That's why you just need to set one of these links
>        to tell the compiler what to choose:
>           /usr/lib/qt --> /usr/lib/qt-2.0.2
>             (for compiling Qt2 programs)
>           /usr/lib/qt --> /usr/lib/qt-1.44
>             (for compiling Qt1.44 programs)
>
>        The command for setting the link is:
>           ln -s /usr/lib/qt /usr/lib/qt-2.0.2
>        or
>           ln -s /usr/lib/qt /usr/lib/qt-1.44
>
>    3.) To make sure that the linker find the right lib simply
>        switch to user "root" and add two lines in /etc/ld.so.conf :
>           /usr/lib/qt-2.0.2/lib
>           /usr/lib/qt-1.44/lib
>        and run:
>           /sbin/ldconfig -v

I had some problems with using Qt1.44 _and_ Qt2.0.2, which I got solved on the
qt-interest mailing list. Therefore my suggestion:

Please add:
4.) Make sure that you are really using the moc shipping with Qt2.0.2.(e.g.
check whether you have a symbolic link still pointing to the old moc version).
The old (Qt1.44) moc version is incompatible.

Bye M.D.