install problems

benjamin j collar bcollar at unm.edu
Fri Dec 17 19:08:15 GMT 1999

Hello everybody,

Yesterday I tried to install kdevelop and ran into many problems.  I was
hoping you all could help me out.  I've checked what documentation I could
find but none of it helped.

First, some background.  Yesterday I reinstalled my box with RedHat 6.1.
I did a custom installation with both kde and gnome.

I downloaded the kdevelop rpm for redhat61 and it rpm-installed just fine.
As a non-root user I ran kdevelop and it came to the setup screen.  It
asked me if I wanted to use emacs style or k style, and I chose emacs.  It
then said it couldn't find the qt documentation and asked me to choose it.
So I put in the path /usr/doc/qt1x-devel-1.44--is this the directory it's
looking for?  It has all the qt html files in it, so I figured so.  Well,
I pressed next and it came back to asking me if I wanted to use emacs
style or not!

So I got grumpy and tried to uninstall it with rpm -e. That told me it
wasn't installed.  I typed rpm -qilp <kdevelop rpm> and for status it said
"not installed."  That was a little strange!

So I left it alone and instead went and downloaded the kdk tar file.  I
untarred it and typed ./configure.  It told me a little while down the
line that I didn't have any version of qt installed--but in fact I have
two versions installed:  2.0.1 and 1.44.  Both are in /usr/lib/qt<>.  I
looked at ld.so.conf and it has the path to both of them; I ran ldconfig
-v and it saw all the qtlibs.

So what's the deal?

But that's not all (grr!).  Kdevelop (the rpm one that wouldn't
uninstall), when I started it, complained that it couldn't find any of the
kde documentation.  I'm not sure exactly where the documentation is
supposed to be--can somebody tell me?

Overall, I'd like to have kdevelop and kdbg installed, preferably that
whole kdk package.

I hope you all can help me out.  Today I had to reinstall again because
the root filesystem got all wacked and fsck coudln't fix it (don't ask, I
have *no* idea what happened overnight), so the system is all clean and
happy and I'm ready to do the install the right way.

Thank you all for your help
Ben

Ben Collar
http://www.unm.edu/~bcollar/