Source subdirectories dependency problem at link stage

Mathias Puetz mpuetz at unm.edu
Fri Dec 17 17:03:48 GMT 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, you wrote:
>Mathias Puetz wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, you wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >I agree that the project structure should be more flexible.  Also there
>> >should be a way to specify the
>> >linker flags for each individual subdir and not only for the whole project.
>>
>> Good point. I think a more general solution would be
>> to allow a project to consist of several sub-projects.
>I would recommend to let the new project management base on tmake's
>*.pro files wrapped with an additional kdevelop *.kdevprj for the
>KDevelop IDE stuff.
>Have a look at the qt directory!
>Tmake provides an extremly easy but powerful project management. It can
>generate Makefiles for many platforms, you can specify any own project
>structure (e.g. with subdirectories bin, lib, res, src and include), and
>tmake can handle sub-projects in any depth (by using several .pro
>files).
>At the time we have projects with many sub-projects (shared libraries as
>well), all well managed with tmake. Unfortunatelly, KDevelop supports
>this weakly, just by customer projects.
>
>Setting specific compiler/linker flags would be possible by controlling
>the tmake template files...
>--
Do you need a tmake executable for compiling a tgz release
of your projects or will the final release work with ordinary
make (gmake) ? This is important since gmake is ported to
almost every platform I know, but I don't know about tmake.

Mathias

 ______________
|                                                  \
| Advanced Materials Lab (University of New Mexico) \
| 1001 University SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106         |
| phone: (505)272-7132    -O-    fax: (505)272-7336 |
|   \|/    email: mpuetz at alpha214.unm.edu    \|/    |
\___/o\________or puetz at mpip-mainz.mpg.de____/o\____/