Linux and Threads

Ray A. Akey rakey at cnetbbs.net
Thu Dec 9 15:10:20 GMT 1999

Please excuse me for asking a somewhat non-KDEvelop-targeted question but
since this list is probably all developers..

I want to create a KDEvelop application that is an internet client. This
client has to be able to do it's client<->server exchange without tying up
the GUI (e.g. I want to have an ABORT button on the GUI to stop/abort the
connection).

What is the best way to do this so it will work with all/most Linux
distributions?

I was thinking pthreads but, then there's the problem of joining or
detaching the threads.  Does it make sense that I would have at least 2
threads, not including the main thread?  e.g. the main thread to join the 2
child threads. The 2 child threads accomplish 1) widget management and 2)
connection management. ?

Does anyone have an example of doing this using threads with KDE or Qt?