giflib30 problem with kdevelop 1.0 Beta4

Marcus Gruendler runner at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Dec 8 13:41:42 GMT 1999

Am Die, 07 Dez 1999 schrieben Sie:
[...]
> hi
> i have a Redhat 5.2 with KDE 1.1.2.
> when i execute ./configure for Kdevelop1.0 Beta4, the configure script says
> me :
>
> >checking for KDE libraries installed... yes
> >done
> >checking for giflib... configure: error: You need giflib30. Please install
> the
> kdesupport package

[...]
> How can i do for installing kdevelop?

Hi, I had the same problem with my brandnew SuSE 6.3. As you might know there
is a patent/license problem with the gif compression algorithm (see
http://www.burnallgifs.org for details). So the linux distributors decided not
to include the "gif" library. Instead they include the "ungif" library (at
least this is what SuSE did :-)

So i just made a link from the ungif library into the kde-lib dir and called it
libgif. Since both libraries have identical interfaces there was no problem
compiling kdevelop.

Execute as root:
  ln -s /usr/lib/libungif.so /opt/kde/lib/libgif.so
  ln -s /usr/lib/libungif.so.4 /opt/kde/lib/libgif.so.3

... and everything should be okay. (it worked on my system...)

Bye, Marcus