Some tips and questions..

Markus Gustavsson mighty at fragzone.se
Wed Aug 11 20:20:20 BST 1999

	Hello.

1. The Make messages and merge option (for the i18n()'s) only index the main cpp file, not any other
   files or cpp files in the subdirs, is this not implemented, or is it suppose to work this way?

2. I really, REALLY miss the way one can set `bookmarks' in KWrite (orginal KWrite) with Alt+S, to
   set a bookmark just about anywhere, and then Alt+[1->] to go to one of the set bookmarks, will
   you implement theese kinds of keyb scuts in KDevelop ? I'd really like that!

3. Can I add my own configure options to the configure scripts KDevelop generates in some way?
   I don't know ANYTHING about autoconf / automake, but i'd like to know how to add small options
   which lets the user define some minor path's and stuff like that. For example I'd like to have
   the --debug and --path-to-some-file=/any/path in the configure script for one of my programs.
   Is there any easy way to manually add theese options so that they'll be added as -D defines
   to the compilers options, or does this require big changes in many files.

4. When running a program from KDevelop (F9) the bar at the bottom switch to STDErr output, this is
   confusing since I allways have to tab KDevelop to the front and change to STDOut and then tab back
   to my program, to be able to see it's output. I don't know about others but I personally think
   it would be better if the STDOut frame it shown when a program is executed.

5. I've noticed that the program's generated with KDevelop can't be compiled under KDE 2.0, the reason
   is that when running ./configure, under a KDE 2.0 environment with QT 2.0, the small program which
   configure generate to check the KDE path's etc, can't run. It seems to me from what I've seen of the
   KDE 2.0 libs that the KApplication kde_<xxxx>dir() functions are removed. Can this be the reason for
   why the configure script don't go through on this one?

6. I'm really not a big fan of the mouse, I'm very lazy and I get tired if I use the mouse a lot, therefor
   I usally do as much as possible with the keyb scuts.. If I change the active class by clicking with
   the mouse on a new one, only the header or the cpp file is loaded into view.. And since I use Alt+c,
   Alt+u to switch between header and cpp view, I always have to choose both the header and click on some
   function to get both into the views.. Couldn't you change so that the header is loaded too, if one
   click on a function in some class, and the other way, the cpp are set as default view for the header..

7. It's been a while ago since last time i was programming, It was back in the 80's on my Amiga, where I
   usally used AMOS and Devpac. I remember that the functions in AMOS could be closed. I think that was
   a neat feature. Let me explain (in case some of you haven't used AMOS on Amiga). When doubleclicking
   on a function in the cpp file, (or selecting it and using a menu options for the same action), the
   whole function is `closed' up and only the init line of it is shown in the editor, that line is also
   marked with some highlighted color to show that it's a closed function. One can then doubleclick again
   to simply open it up again so all of it's code is shown. I liked this since it made it easy to hande
   really big files with many functions, it looks better and is easier to handle in the editor.
   Is there some way you could implement this in KDevelop,, I mean, if there's others than me who would
   like a feature like this?

8. Since there are many programmers now who use KDevelop for writing their KDE applications, and KDevelop
   is the best KDE / QT Based environment, pherhaps one of the best environment overall in a near future?
   I would really like to show off that I'm using it on my homepage where I have my apps. I would like to
   have small comercial banners / animated GIF's etc with different text's like "Get KDevelop", "I'm a
   proud user of KDevelop" and stuff like that. Most huge apps have theese kinds of minibanners for use
   on the users homepages, couldn't you try to paint some nice ones?

9. The CV still close and snap up into minimal size when a class's header file is saved, this is a little
   bit annoying :) Couldn't you change this so that the opened and closed classes in the CV allways stay
   in the same position even after a save etc?

10.I remember a while ago some people here on the list was talking about that there was a problem with
   KDevelop when running several different KDevelop's at the same time with different programs. This was
   because there was some file which was used of KDevelop, and that file got into sharing violations when
   two KDevelops tried to use it at the same time... My idea is that you pherhaps could add support for
   several projects opened at the same time? Maby it isn't totally necessary with such a feature, but it
   would be nice in many ways to be able to switch back and fourth between two projects from the menu,
   If for example one project is a set of libs, and the other project makes use of thouse libs.

11.It would be fun to know more about how you will continue to code on the CVS support! I don't like the
   system as it is now, where one have to set shell variables CVSROOT and login to it before starting
   KDevelop. It would be nice to have a server dialog where one could add different CVS servers and their
   login/pass data, and then choose what server to use in just a click. It would also be nice if you could
   add some feature to the RFV / LFV so that one could see right away what files there are newer versions
   of and which ones that are up to date. Pherhaps you could add small mini tag's to the icons in theese
   views, or pherhaps make a small extra column in the RFV / LFV to the left, where a special CVS-Status
   icon is shown.

--
                                   __   _
Markus Gustavsson                 / /  (_)__  __ ____  __