Icon copyright issues for 1.0

John Zedlewski zedlwski at princeton.edu
Mon Aug 9 15:16:42 BST 1999

Hmm, I was using MSVC++ today at work, and I realized that a few of the
toolbar icons for KDev are still the ones that were copied directly from a
screenshot of the Microsoft IDE.  While I don't think anybody is in danger
of being sued today, I'd point out that the main KDE folks have been
prevented from using the name "Trash" for the trashcan, because that's an
Apple copyright.  Clearly, actually lifting MS icons would be even more
obvious and it would be a shame to have to make the change AFTER 1.0.  So
does anybody have any ideas for new icons?  Specifically, the "Search in
Files", "Dialog Builder" and "Workspace" icons are very obvious.  I've
always though that the "Workspace" icon should show a tree view anyways,
instead of whatever-the-hell they have on there.  Maybe we can find
replacements among the existing set of KDE mini-icons?
--JZ