Selecting a string to paste over copies selectecd text back to the past buffer Was: (Re: Find overwrites paste buffer)

Daniel Beckham danbeck at scott.net
Thu Aug 5 14:53:54 BST 1999

Actually, this is part of a larger issue.  I know that unix apps generally
work like this, but I don't know why and I don't know why it's never been
changed.  Here's the scenario:

You just renamed a function from connect_to_mysql_database_on_web_server()
to mysqlConnect().  Of course, the original name was way to long and that's
why you are renaming it to something that makes more sense.

If you double click on the new name, hit Ctrl-C to copy and then double
click on old name to overwrite it... BAM!!! your paste buffer now contains
a copy of what you just selected and not what you meant to paste...   The
solution, you have to delete what you want to replace before you paste.  Do
you know how many times you have to hit the backspace key to delete that
long function name?  A lot.

So... is there any way we can turn off that feature of copying selected
text into the paste buffer?  It's *really* annoying...

Daniel