KDevelop behavior changes when switching from editing to debug mode...can it be disabled?

Kevin Hise hisekc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 17:47:40 BST 2024

[ Thank you for helping me, if possible. I'm not a member of the
mailing list so if you could cc me on the reply I'd appreciate that.
If these questions have been addressed and it's a matter of searching
then let me know. ]

I'm using KDevelop on Slackware current (from like Dec 2023) for a few
projects that I'm building in gcc.

When KDevelop goes from "edit" mode to "debug" mode the views of all
edit panes change to something else....a different file, a different
cursor position, etc. When returning from "debug" back to "edit" mode,
the same thing happens.

So the result is that when I go from editing to debugging and back to
editing, I need to go back and find what file I was in across every
window, and find the cursor position. It's probably something that
works on some distro builds, but it's just not working well on Slack
at all, as every editing pane will have a different file in it, and be
someplace randomly in that file.

Can it...whatever this feature is called... be disabled? I don't even
know what the feature is called, so I haven't found whatever it is in
the settings to disable it. It's not a feature I would ever use
anyways. I know other IDEs do that and I find it [negative words
redacted here because it's not helpful] and would disable it if
possible.

And...the message when starting debug about "...operation not
permitted..." with gdb, is there something I can apply to correct
this? From some stack overflow post it seems to be a code change. I
guess I'm forced to use an external terminal shell because my targets
are all console programs at this point and need a "press any key"
input to exit. I don't see any way to feed a keyboard keypress into
the KDevelop output window.

Thank you.

--kh;