kdev-python: plans to add support for PyQt6 & PySide2/6 ?

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Tue Jan 2 21:11:31 GMT 2024

Hi,

a word of caution, I haven't looked at these bindings for about ten
years, which is also approximately how outdated they are.

On 02.01.24 09:33, Björn Strömberg wrote:
> the process as i see it (for KF5/KF6 in case they do not have python
> wrappers like pyside) we got the qt tools to generate pyside2/6
>
>   * shiboken2 https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython-5/shiboken2/index.html
>     <https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython-5/shiboken2/index.html>
>   * shiboken6 https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython-6/shiboken6/index.html
>     <https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython-6/shiboken6/index.html>
>
> to generate the python interfaces, then what we need is something to
> read those interfaces to create the manuals,

I'm not sure we're talking about the right thing here. We don't need to
generate the bindings, other people have already done that, we only need
to generate files containing the relevant definitions and docs in the
right format for kdev-python to understand. This format is the
"header-like" files you've found.

They used to be generated from the SIP description files for PyQt, and
from a quick glance it looks like that could still work in principle.
The scripts to do that are in the "documentation_src" folder, but will
certainly need some changes (apparently the SIP command line interface
has changed and the files have also moved, but maybe there are more
rocks in the way).

Feel free to have a look if you are interested, or alternatively in the
next months I'll need to do a bit of maintenance anyways to add support
for Python 3.12, then I can also see if I can update those scripts to
support PyQt6 and current SIP. No promises though ;)

Greetings,
Sven