C, C++ static code visualization

Francis Herne mail at flherne.uk
Sun Oct 11 17:02:26 BST 2020

On Thursday, 8 October 2020 18:28:08 BST Dave Tavares wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I am interested in understanding your call tree capabilities for C++ 14 or
> later. I could not find documentation... could you point me to it?
> What does the color-coding signify?
> [cid:image001.png at 01D69D5D.B5776B30]
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Tavares
> Corporate Quality
> Synopsys

Hi Dave,

This looks like the 'kdev-control-flow-graph' plugin, which is currently
unmaintained and won't work with recent versions of KDevelop.

The APIs haven't changed much, so it could probably be brought back to a
usable state fairly quickly if someone was interested in doing so.

The source code can be found here:
https://invent.kde.org/kdevelop/kdev-control-flow-graph/-/tree/master

I think the best documentation of what it does and why is the series of blog
posts by Sandro Andrade, the primary author:

https://liveblue.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/kdevelop-in-gsoc-what-does-your-code-look-like/
https://liveblue.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/visualize-your-code-in-kdevelop/
https://liveblue.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/2-visualize-your-code-in-kdevelop/
https://liveblue.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/3-visualize-your-code-in-kdevelop/
https://liveblue.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/gsoc-wrap-up-static-code-visualization-in-kdevelop/

(yes, we should probably try to have documentation that isn't random blog
posts...)

I believe nodes were coloured according to their project and/or namespace, but
it's been a while since I used it and I can't find a clear mention in the posts
above.

Maybe others can give you more information, but that's what I know...

Yours,
-Francis Herne