Changes to the website: Disabling ability to post comments

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu Apr 30 09:44:04 BST 2020

Heya guys,

we've been getting enormous amounts of spam from the kdevelop.org contact page
lately, due to the switch from reCAPTCHA to the basic math captch in Drupal
[1].

There are recurring issues with more complex captcha modules in Drupal which
make it difficult to counter spam there so Milian & me decided to remove the
contact and (for the same reasons) the ability to post comments on
kdevelop.org. With around 10 spam mails arriving via the contact form, 10-20
spam comments arriving /per day/ it's simply not possible to review them and,
needless to say, no fun. I just simply rm'd around 1100 Unapproved Comments in
Drupal (est. 95%-100% were clearly spam)...

So I'd recommend for new KDevelop release posts to just state sth like this at
the end of the post from now on:
  "If you have any remarks or in case you find any issues in KDevelop, please
let us [know](https://www.kdevelop.org/support)."

Users are then encouraged to post to the KDevelop mailing list, forums or bug
tracker instead, where it's easier to counter spam.

Hope you understand.

Regards,
Kevin

[1] https://phabricator.kde.org/T12725