FYI: please file review requests on gitlab now

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 09:25:33 GMT 2019

On Sunday January 27 2019 06:18:43 Aleix Pol wrote:

>You'll see that being able to use git itself rather than tools on top of it
>(e.g. arc or rb-tool) will prove to be more comfortable in the long run.

Thanks. While that may be true for someone who has only a few patches that are all completely independent and get accepted quickly it's not the whole story for me. There's a reason I wrote the phab plugin for Purpose.

In a nutshell, I'd be replacing that  "tool on top of it" by creating a branch in another clone (both on my own disk and on KDE's new git server), maintain those branches (probably delete and recreate them more than a few times when they go out of sync or my talent to mess up git instructions expresses itself). And I don't see how all that extra work with more or less permanent effects will streamline the process when you have lots of patches many of which overlap or touch the same files ... and you also want to use the product with all those patches applied yourself.
As Milian said, this looks like the github PR feature, which is among the least practical to me of the 4 mechanisms I have experience with.
KDevelop with the Reviewboard plugin was just about perfect.

I imagine there must be more overhead for the admins too (lot of extra clones to host, requests to delete or do other things with them..) but that's not our problem.