build error output view?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 10:09:25 BST 2018

Hi,

I just spent an inordinate amount of time getting  project to build that needed a (probably for-my-eyes only) patch to a number of individual .c files. It's a big project with mostly big files and without the fix I'd get a long list of errors. Details are irrelevant here, what made this so cumbersome is: I had to alternate between `make -JN -k` and `make V=1` in order to figure out which files caused the error (or I could have used just `make V=1` and spend even more time waiting).

In this case there was no difference between building from inside KDevelop or from the commandline. Other IDEs I've used (including I think Qt Creator) do some post-processing of the build output in order to be able to present errors and/or warnings on a per-file basis. Does anything like that exist for KDevelop or if not, would it even be possible without a complete overhaul of the basic build "engine"?

R.