compiledb-generator and the generic Makefile proj.manager

Francis Herne mail at flherne.uk
Fri Oct 19 17:27:26 BST 2018

On Friday, 19 October 2018 08:44:14 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About that compile_commands.json from Makefile generator I just posted about
> (https://github.com/nickdiego/compiledb-generator) :
>
> could it be leveraged from the generic Makefile project manager to make that
> one a bit more capable? The parsing code is already there and if it's
> independent enough from the rest of the cmake proj.manager code it would
> "only" need to be split off into a utility class.
>
> I don't know how much of the legacy cmake proj.manager's feature set is NOT
> based on the compile_commands.json db; one big difference between it and
> the generic Makefile proj.manager is that the latter doesn't support using
> an out-of-source build.dir .
>
> Another thing that's missing AFAIK is a straightforward way to compile just
> a single file; I think this should be possible when there is a
> compile_commands.json file that contains the information how to do that.
>
> Stuff for a junior project or GSOC?
>
> R.

A similar idea was mentioned on IRC a while ago, in that case it was using
https://github.com/rizsotto/Bear .

The user did manage to get a "CMake" project working from their generated
compile_commands.json after applying this [1] hacky patch (which I wrote the
initial version of), and it reportedly worked better than the 'Custom Make'
plugin without needing hand-entered include paths etc.

+1, this seems like a good idea.

-Francis

[1] https://gist.github.com/Plagman/cf43d9f55099e98184b3e35333768805