D16495: Bump min dep versions of Qt & KF to 5.9 & 5.44

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Nov 15 23:13:40 GMT 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D16495#359725 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16495#359725>, @kfunk wrote:

  > Disclaimer: I'm pretty conservative when it comes to bumping version requirements of dependent packages. So far we don't get a lot by bumping the versions, quite the contrary we rather lose (potential, I know, but still) contributors b/c they cannot build KDevelop on their current OS.

  Personally i fancy not supporting old versions, as it means less chance for bugs only found in older versions ;) Thus less support issues. And getting rid of if-version variants in the code also makes me feel better :) But well, hope dies last, so perhaps one day there really will be new KDevelop contributors who are otherwise stuck on very conservatively upgraded systems...  ;)

  > Keeping at least Debian Stable in the loop would make sense to me, so: Qt 5.7 and KF 5.28? We'd only lose Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (another big "market"), which is probably negligible as there's a new LTS out now.

  I would be already a bit happy with this, would allow at least some code variants to kill (and Qt 5.7 gives us native qAsConst + QOverload).
  Still not enough to build current Qml/JS support, but then potential Qml users would be rather using newer Qt versions on their machine anyway, so no issues for them.

  @kfunk Would you be able to update your CI to use Debian Stable, so we have at least those minimal deps covered by some automated testing?

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL