GSoC: Please help us admins get the Ideas page in shape

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jan 15 14:11:26 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> and again this year, surprise: Google Summer of Code is near!
>
> Do we manage to pull it another time?
>
> I think this time some focus on improving *existing* language plugins would be
> nice. The last year's GSoC brought us a couple more language plugins which are
> (unfortunately) all hanging a little bit in the air. We don't seem to have the
> time to properly finish/release them yet.
>
> Ideas welcome!
>
> From a scheduling point of view: Sadly, I won't be able to mentor a student
> this year due to ongoing private obligations :)
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

> Subject: Please help us admins get the Ideas page in shape
> Date: Monday, 15 January 2018, 04:01:59 CET
> From: Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com>
> To: Kde Soc Mentor <kde-soc-mentor at kde.org>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I've sent sent out the second email to the devel lists asking people to
> please get our Ideas page [1] in shape, using
> https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list.html
> as a guide.
>
> Please help us in this effort in every way you can. January 23 17:00 UTC
>  is the mentoring organization application deadline. Our Ideas page should
> be top-notch by then - well organized, attractive, and full of various
> ideas. Right now it still has ideas marked "SoK only"!
>
> This page our open door to our prospective applicants, but more important
> Right Now: it is the core of our Org Application to the GSoC Google team.
>
> Please. And thank you.
>
> Valorie
>
> 1. https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2018/Ideas
>
> PS: Please ask team members who are prospective mentors if they are on
> *this* list yet, and if not, urge them to subscribe *now.* Thanks
>
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez

> --
> Kevin Funk | kfunk at kde.org | http://kfunk.org

I agree on the existing languages and infrastructure. Polishing would be great.
I brought it up last year already, having some kind of integration
with LSP [1] could be useful as their implementations keep maturing
and there's languages where we won't ever get a compelling story. But
that's up to you guys.

Aleix

[1] https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol