D17289: KDevelop/Shell: set dedicated TMPDIR

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Dec 2 21:26:10 GMT 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  Actually, issues with clang temp files is why I started to think about this kind of change but ultimately I realised it didn't seem such a bad idea at all to put all KDevelop-related temporary files in a dedicated location. I often clean out a bunch of KDevelop's own temp files that were left behind, e.g. after a crash. I just didn't mention them because they're negligible in size (and I purge before their numbers really start to grow).

  I'm not sure what QTemporaryDir would improve here; I use a deterministic name for a reason here. The relevant Qt Creator code I've seen also sets TMPDIR. Probably because it gets picked up by QSP, and most non-Qt applications also seem to recognise TMPDIR as the variable that defines the (user) location for storing temporary files.

  I'm curious what kind of subtle side effects others here can think of. The only one I could think of is what could happen with processes that outlive their parent KDevelop process. For the rest, every application spawned by KDevelop should see the same TMPDIR location and I'm guessing (hoping) that none expect to exchange files with other processes under the assumption that everyone uses the same temp. directory.
  Files in TMPDIR are usually private, or else their full path is handed to external apps that need to use them (like sockets), no?

  Note that there is a design oversight in the initial version: if the QSP::TempLocation ends with `/kdevelop-temp-session-XXXX` that substring should be clipped to avoid recursion when launching another session through KDevelop.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D17289