D6477: KDevelop --help: document the possibility to open files at a specific cursor position

Kevin Funk noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 20 09:16:10 UTC 2017

kfunk added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6477#121350, @rjvbb wrote:

  > Aleix Pol Gonzalez wrote on 20170703::12:44:35 re: "https://phabricator.kde.org/D6477: KDevelop --help: document the possibility to open files at a specific cursor position"
  >
  > >   Wouldn't it be easier to write `[FILE(:line)(:column)...]`? It feels a bit too verbose to me.
  >
  > My initial idea was `[FILE[:line[:column]]...]` but that felt a bit too cryptic/illegible to me in practice.
  >  If the surrounding square brackets indicate the optional nature of `FILES` we should probably stick to those brackets, and not use another form with the same intention.
  >
  > >   Also since some time it supports directories that are opened as a project. This should probably be reflected too.
  >
  > `i18n("Files to load, or directories to load as projects"), "[FILE[:line[:column]]...] [DIRECTORY...]"` ?

  /me just learned about http://docopt.org/ -- cool -- so what about:

  `i18n("Files to load, or directories to load as projects"), "[FILE[:line[:column]] | DIRECTORY]..."`?

  I could live with that.

  Bonus points for adding two example usages at the bottom of the help text in a new `Examples` section(?)

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D6477