working with huge projects

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:18:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

Has anyone ever tried to import really big projects into KDevelop recently, say the GCC 7 source tree? I just did, and have been regretting it for the last 18 minutes (I don't want to kill the session just yet).

>From what I could see with a quick debugger attach, the app just sits burning CPU while setting up (or destroying) KDirWatch thingies on I don't know how many directories. Apparently on the main thread because the UI isn't responding. This is on Mac where KDirWatch doesn't work properly anyway, making the issue even more annoying.

I have to assume that KDirWatch is going to be comparably expensive on Linux and if so, it could be a pretty useful idea to have a session setting to disable directory monitoring. It's nice when it works but you can live without it quite well, and it's not worth waiting this long for projects to open (or consume the associated resources).

What do you think?

R.