D8579: KDevelop: project filter support in the abstractfilemanagerplugin import benchmark

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 31 16:31:04 UTC 2017

rjvbb created this revision.
rjvbb added a reviewer: KDevelop.
rjvbb added a project: KDevelop.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: kdevelop-devel.

REVISION SUMMARY
  This change makes it possible to benchmark project import with the Project Filter plugin activated. The patch exploits the fact that the plugin won't be available when the core engine is initialised without GUI (Core::NoUI); a simple place-dependent commandline argument is used to activate filter support by controlling the TestCore initialisation.

  I'm not entirely certain of the interest of this change. The benchmark was written in the context of improving the dirwatching set-up. In the current implementation of that feature, the project filter has no control whatsoever over which elements get to be watched or not and the benchmark will only show the filter overhead on project import *after* the dirwatching set-up.
  In the implementation I hope to propose, only directories actually loaded into the project get to be watched, which means the filter is applied before KDirWatch::addDir() in a regular KDevelop session. Separating filtering overhead from the gain of not dirwatching "invalid" directories will be tricky in that implementation.
  In addition, this uses a default Project Filter configuration, as far as I have been able to figure out.

  This change could thus just as well be part of my improved dirwatching patch?

TEST PLAN
  If possible, set up the Project Filter in a controlled way, for instance such that it will reject an in-tree `build` directory (and not just the *.o files in there).

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D8579

AFFECTED FILES
  kdevplatform/project/tests/abstractfilemanagerpluginimportbenchmark.cpp