D8158: KDevelop: decorate patch version string in development builds

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 6 11:40:54 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  > Does drkonqui still automatically select the right version in Bugzilla if we do this ...? (It does that, right?)

  I haven't gone so far as to submit an actual bug report. I'd hope that some kind of pattern matching is done, either in DrKonqi or by the Bugzilla software itself. Which btw. only seems to know release versions.

  > Looking at it, no, you definitely cannot do it like this. You overwrite KDevelop_VERSION_PATCH, which is e.g. exported to kdevelop-config.cmake and will require e.g. kdev-php to depend on "kdevelop VERSION 5.1.80-24-g5623457794"...

  I wasn't sure about that because I can find no evidence that this version is exported in a headerfile or .cmake file. What did I overlook?
  Is it safer to rewrite just the full version string (and would it be acceptable/safe to include the 'v' in there - if not it can be removed in software)?

  > Also, you run this at build generation time, so if you do a change + commit which don't cause cmake to re-generate the build system, the version number won't change.
  >
  > Also, as said, this will just cause the build to fail on Windows.

  How many bug reports do you get that are generated automatically on MS Windows (via DrKonqi or the built-in bug reporter)?

  I see 2 options, presuming that the feature is deemed of interest:
  1 exclude MS Windows, which would make it possible (or simpler) to write something that always updates the full version string
  2 don't a helper script, execute git directly from the CMake file to rewrite just a full version string used by KAboutData, and do the required post-processing in main.cpp

  With option 2) it would be the developer's responsibility to take care of regenerating the version string, for instance by removing $build.dir/kdevelop-config.h in post-commit and post-fetch hooks. We could even provide instructions for that.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D8158