D5042: Port away from QtWebKit into QtWebEngine

Aleix Pol Gonzalez noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 16 01:11:32 UTC 2017

apol added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5042#95303, @brauch wrote:

  > Sorry that my comment is a rather philosophical one, and maybe a bit disconnected from reality, but ...
  >  Do we really need a full web browser engine for this purpose? Effectively, we render text, links, and maybe ocassionaly a simple table and an image. Isn't there something simpler than a web browser engine (which is half an operating system these days) which provides us with these capabilities? What about the Qt Rich Text stuff?
  >
  > I feel like QtWebEngine will have the same problem in five years all over again ...

  Well, I do quite see how QtWebEngine is easier to maintain than QtWebKit.

  If we use QTextEditor instead of this it will work for many things then some it won't and we'll be sad.

  If you want, I can look into changing the StandardDocumentationView into a QTextEditor then we just use QtWebEngine for QtHelp and whatever plugin wants to do something fancier. This will duplicate some logic though, obviously.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5042