D4981: patchreview : allow choice of the number of context lines

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 11 09:07:44 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  > Just make git patches generate more context, which is what you're trying to fix.

  How would you yourself take it if those patches all of a sudden included the whole file even for a typo correction? If I found that an acceptable approach I would have proposed it myself.

  The only alternative I see ATM is to replace the spinbox with some kind drop-down menu that contains a smallish selection of appropriate context size (1-10, All?). Could be hidden under the update button but I have no idea though how you'd implement that. Could also be put in the context menu of the patchfile document, but that and any other approach will probably introduce a lot of unnecessary complexity. Frankly, do you all use such narrow windows that the additional spinbox (or a small button-with-dropdown) is something that really changes anything for you? How often do you even pay attention to the Update button and anything to the left of it?

  Let's see what other reactions I get on the forum poll, beyond the 4 early votes it got that support my approach perfectly.

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D4981