KDevelop memory footprint

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 08:59:06 UTC 2017

On Wednesday June 07 2017 10:29:11 Milian Wolff wrote:

>It depends. Do you have lots of documents open? Then yes, the memory usage

What is "lots" here? IOW, how many MB should we expect per open document, or per Kb (or line) of open document?

>There's a long-time entry on our TODO list to evict TU's from memory when the
>accompanying document hasn't been touched in a long time. That should improve
>the situation, but hasn't been done yet.

I did notice that the footprint decreases when I close documents, but it's not "instantaneous" and not all memory is released. There's also an interaction with the OS's memory compression and "recuperation" features.

I've been experimenting with a few small local modifications to reduce the number of temporary files in use. Without much success because I don't really know where to look, but could doing that also affect the memory footprint?

https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/blob/master/kf5/kdevelop5/files/patch-cleanup-tempfiles.diff
(and https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/blob/master/kf5/kdevplatform5/files/devel/patch-cleanup-tempfiles.diff)

Cheers,
R.