KDevelop memory footprint

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jun 7 08:29:11 UTC 2017

On Monday, June 5, 2017 6:56:22 PM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would be a reasonable memory footprint to observe while running
> KDevelop?
>
> I have a session that on Mac takes over 1Gb RAM ("real memory size"; around
> 700Mb "private" and almost 300Mb shared). This session contains 5 small
> projects (all based on simple examples from Qtbase) plus a still quite
> simple project of my own
> (https://cgit.kde.org/osx-integration.git/?h=qt590).
>
> The latter project contains a fair share of ObjC++ files, which tend to
> increase RAM usage in my experience (and generate lots of parser warnings).
>
> Do those numbers seem reasonable? Note that I configure all my sessions NOT
> to parse each project upon opening, so the memory usage corresponds only to
> files I have had open (and any headers they include).

It depends. Do you have lots of documents open? Then yes, the memory usage
sounds about "right", i.e. expected. If not, then no - it sounds too large.

There's a long-time entry on our TODO list to evict TU's from memory when the
accompanying document hasn't been touched in a long time. That should improve
the situation, but hasn't been done yet.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de