D6184: restore horizontal scrollbar in the project manager plugin

Aaron Puchert noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 10 22:00:05 UTC 2017

aaronpuchert added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6184#123281, @rjvbb wrote:

  > I'm beginning to understand the objections from X11 users. Even with my settings horizontal scrolling behaves as if it's configured to scroll at least half the viewport width at a time. On Mac/Cocoa, horizontal and vertical scrolling are equally smooth, and that's where I did most of my testing (while replying to this ticket).

  For me it's not so much about smoothness. It's rather that scrolling in both directions happens with the same speed. That makes sense for images, but for scrolling through a directory tree you might want to have much less sensitive horizontal scrolling, while still being able to scroll fast vertically. I guess Mac OS does that. But this is not something we should try to fix in KDevelop.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6184#123507, @rjvbb wrote:

  > Yes, it's all about a single toolview. As it happens, the other toolview showing comparable information (the Filesystem view) uses horizontal scrolling too. Without the filtering...

  Indeed, even the class view has horizontal scrolling. I'd say the case for elision is even stronger there, because that hierarchy isn't going to be very deep. (Though I don't know how deep people nest their name spaces...)

  An another note: I was just using Thunderbird and noticed that they are eliding not at the end, but somewhere in the middle. Could this be a solution? Suppose you have files `projectmanager.cpp` and `projectmanagerview.cpp`, which are both abbreviated like `projectmanag...` right now. Instead we could abbreviate them `proj...er.cpp` and `projec..ew.cpp`. A disadvantage would be that we waste space for the file ending, which is already encoded in the icon to some extent.

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D6184