RFC: support for building on remote/virtual/etc machines

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 19:11:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

thank you for all the replies so far.

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2016, 02:37:43 CEST schrieb Friedrich W. H.
Kossebau:
> Now, there is one issue that bugs me for years, so I want to try to get
> serious with it myself over the following months:
> being able to build (and/or deploy) on machines other than the one where I
> run KDevelop on (e.g. my laptop).

"following months" is a key term here, as there are still other things on my
FLOSS desk that I want to reach DONE status before I concentrate more on
this (e.g. https://frinring.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/adding-api-dox-generation-to-the-build-by-cmake-macros/).

At least already dumped the initial info into a first wiki page https://
community.kde.org/KDevelop/RemoteDevelopment so things can evolve from that.

Personally I still need a better idea of the problem space, as my personal
needs are rather vague so far, even less do I know the possible needs of
others in all kind of settings.

So while David possibly is right that "usecases are very customized", I
still have the hope that at least many are covered by some patterns, so
could get better support in the UI. For the rest then some GUI-support-less
solution would be still needed. But as I said above, I personally need a
better idea of what is wanted and what is possible :) Also on the risk to in
the end having to say "yes, maintaining a solution is be close to
impossible". So a minimum gain might be to at least have learned more about
all involved tools :)

Cheers
Friedrich