KDevelop BoF at Akademy

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Sep 22 14:44:25 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:23:32 PM CEST David Nolden wrote:
> w.r.t. the "multi-window" support, note that KDevelop actually mostly
> supports multiple windows. At some point it was simply disabled
> because it was considered incomplete. As far as I remember, the only
> real issue was, that tool-views were not remember correctly
> per-window. I think this should be revived at some point. Maybe by
> simply making secondary windows plain without any toolviews.

Afaik many parts of our code base simply don't work with multiple windows.
They simply ask for the current window and do stuff. Tons of things have been
written without ever having been properly tested with multiple windows. I also
seem to remember crashes and stability issues as one of the reasons why we
decided to disable this feature before releasing KDevelop 4.

I think we could revive it, we certainly should try it out. But I don't think
it's as easy as enabling the action and be done with it ;-) Sounds like quite
a lot of work to get right.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff