Planning to release a beta version of KDevelop for OS X during 5.1

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Oct 26 17:41:54 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 17:31:40 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Wednesday October 26 2016 16:42:42 Kevin Funk wrote:
> >I'd like to package just the IDE, as on Windows, no full Qt/KF5 SDK. That's
> >just out of scope for us at this point.
> >
> >@René: Do you see any blockers wrt KDevelop for OS X?
>
> Blockers, no. KDevelop5 has come a long way from the days when I first got
> it to build and was quite underwhelmed with its behaviour compared to
> KDevelop 4.7.3 .

Great!

> There's one thing I can think of that doesn't work
> properly for me (but didn't either in 4.7): auto-refresh of directories in
> the project manager toolview. That's probably not KDevelop's fault, though,
> but it could be useful to trigger a refresh in reaction to certain actions
> like "Locate current document".

Okay, I'll have a look at that. Noted.

> Apart from that I should note that I build KF5 in a "Unixy" fashion, with
> shared resources in locations where they'd also be expected on Linux and
> with a functional session DBus . That also means that KDevelop can interact
> with other KDE (and even XDG-compliant software in general) just like it
> can on Linux, and I do not currently have a good idea how the user
> experience changes when you go to a standalone app bundle containing all
> the required dependencies.

Well, that's similar to the Windows situation then: It works. We're not
relying on DBus on Windows at all, which works for us. Regarding paths, etc.:
fixable.

I'll run into that anyway, as soon as I start packing the .dmg...

> Which reminds me: do you plan to include cmake and up-to-date versions of
> git and what-have-you?

That's what I tried to hint at with my "no full Qt/KF5 SDK" remark: No I don't
actually want to include cmake or Git. That's not our job, IMO. This is where
OS X package managers (e.g. brew, MacPorts) would help out.

> One last remark: KF5 konsole doesn't support (most) Ctrl sequences on OS X
> for me, including crucial ones like Ctrl-C. I'm not sure why as it did work
> in Qt4 (and it also works when I use the XCB plugin, so it must have to do
> with Qt swapping the Ctrl and Meta keys for shortcuts). I'd probably advise
> to disable the konsole plugin because of this.

That's a good point. Shortcuts under OS X are generally a big problem I think;
we need to review the shortcuts in KDevelop and check whether they're
accessible/sensible under OS X.

That's something where a OS X local could help of course :). I remember you
fixing a few issues there already.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Kevin