Planning to release a beta version of KDevelop for OS X during 5.1

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:31:40 UTC 2016

On Wednesday October 26 2016 16:42:42 Kevin Funk wrote:

>I'd like to package just the IDE, as on Windows, no full Qt/KF5 SDK. That's
>just out of scope for us at this point.
>
>@René: Do you see any blockers wrt KDevelop for OS X?

Blockers, no. KDevelop5 has come a long way from the days when I first got it to build and was quite underwhelmed with its behaviour compared to KDevelop 4.7.3 .
There's one thing I can think of that doesn't work properly for me (but didn't either in 4.7): auto-refresh of directories in the project manager toolview. That's probably not KDevelop's fault, though, but it could be useful to trigger a refresh in reaction to certain actions like "Locate current document".

Apart from that I should note that I build KF5 in a "Unixy" fashion, with shared resources in locations where they'd also be expected on Linux and with a functional session DBus . That also means that KDevelop can interact with other KDE (and even XDG-compliant software in general) just like it can on Linux, and I do not currently have a good idea how the user experience changes when you go to a standalone app bundle containing all the required dependencies.

Which reminds me: do you plan to include cmake and up-to-date versions of git and what-have-you?

One last remark: KF5 konsole doesn't support (most) Ctrl sequences on OS X for me, including crucial ones like Ctrl-C. I'm not sure why as it did work in Qt4 (and it also works when I use the XCB plugin, so it must have to do with Qt swapping the Ctrl and Meta keys for shortcuts). I'd probably advise to disable the konsole plugin because of this.

CHeers,
René