KDevelop apparently crashes due to a file that contains "#pragma clang __debug crash"

Johannes Schaub schaub.johannes at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 24 22:14:32 UTC 2016

I wanted to browse the LLVM/Clang GIT checkout, but indexing the
project directory was very slow and sometimes it crashed (SIGILL and
SIGSEGV).

When people in #kdevelop told me to enable logging using
QT_LOGGING_RULES="kdev-clang=true", it turned out that clang kept
crashing on files in clang's testsuites. Digging into one of the
files, it contains

   #pragma clang __debug crash

This probably causes kdevelop to crash. In most cases (unfortunately)
this appears to be catched by llvm's crash handler and transformed to
a "return false". My suspicion is that the SIGILL and SIGSEGV I
noticed are due to this pragma and the inability to catch the crash in
rare cases (the crash handler is best-effort).

KDevelop should disable handling of this and similar pragmas in clang,
if possible.