Review Request 128012: Check for an existing out-of-source build dir

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:03:24 UTC 2016

On Wednesday May 25 2016 13:40:59 Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> I have projects/*  and builds/* and I always need to edit the config file
> after configuring a project on kdevelop.

That seems like a workflow that might not be that uncommon (at least one in which the build dir for projectA is at projectA../../build/projectA, i.e. build instead of builds).

But there's a point where one has to stop checking alternatives, or else you'd need to invoke an external helper. It's not very complicated to run a script via QProcess and read its output, right? If so, the "universal" solution would be to call a helper shell script from a specific location, e.g.

kdevelop-propose-build-dir <projectDir> [projectType]

which can then do anything the user wants and return a location. `proposedBuildDir()` would still do a sanity check on the returned value before serving it to its caller.

R.