RFC: widget-based welcome page

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Jan 13 13:23:27 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 01:38:07 PM Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I want to propose the removal of the Qt Quick based welcome page.
>
> Pro:
>
> - whenever it shows up it feels out of place

You mean, "it doesn't fit"?

The current green-ish color, to tell the truth, is just horrible. Then we also
have improper hover effects, all in all it's not very pleasing to the eye.

Incidentally, a few days ago I talked to Jens & Andreas (KDE VDG) about the
Welcome Page, asking for some input from their side. Let's wait for some
feedback first, before coming to conclusions.

> - there is a very noticeable lag and also bad drawing performance for me on
> my laptop with the welcome page. I btw. see the same in KMail - might
> easily be one of many QtQuickWidget bugs/limitations

I'm seeing this as well. Notably, there are drawing *glitches* for me when the
Welcome Page widget is visible. E.g. the tool view contents don't update as
long as the QQ view is visible; this issue disappears as soon as I open the
first tab.

I'm having the impression this must be an issue on our side, though, I can't
see that in other applications I use. (QtC, which I have to use for work
sometimes, also got a QQ2 based welcome screen, never had issues with that
one). Also confirmed by other Linux users.

> - the content we show currently could easily be shown with simple widgets

Well, as you said in the Con section, *currently* we can, but it'll limit us.

> Con:
>
> - removing it also severely limits what we could potentially do in a per-
> project dashboard. But we don't have a working dashboard yet, so imo this is
> something we could tackle in the future then
>
> What do you others think?

I'd love to keep the QQ2 based welcome page; it's easy to work with and to
extend *if* someone actually steps up and extends it... Not so easy with a
QWidget-based page, and even less likely to happen.

My 2c:
* Figure out why we're having graphical glitches with the QQ2 View
* Wait a bit for some feedback from the VDG,  and hope we can resolve the UX
issues

Cheers,
Kevin