include install path

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:59:50 UTC 2016

On Wednesday January 06 2016 12:33:24 Kevin Funk wrote:

Hi,

> Not really KDevelop-specific; I think you should send this to kde-core-
> devel at kde.org instead.

Heh, no, but I've started bumping into this issue when I started building dependencies for KDevelop ... and I also thought I'd find the most compiler-savvy people on here ;)

> Work-around: Make double-sure that KF5/KDE5 include paths come before the sys
> includes carrying KDE4 headers.
> Definitely doable, not impossible. Been there quite a few times while porting
> applications to KF5.

Not really trivial without patching cmake files, is it? Not made any easier also by the fact that CMake doesn't support incremental arguments.
And actually, it's mostly the other way round that I have the issue.
Besides, does all KF5 software expect to be told the include path (e.g. "-I${prefix}/include/kdevplatform"), without ever doing something like "#include <kdevplatform/X/Y.h>" ?

> As I said, this is kde-core-devel material.

Great, yet another ML to subscribe to...

> My take: Any library shipping headers should install them into a well-defined,
> and separate prefix, as a good-practice anyway.

I agree. The Frameworks do; I'm not really sure why it hasn't been encouraged to put all headers under include/KF5 or include/KDE5 and include/KDE5/KF5 ...

Cheers,
René