include install path

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Jan 6 11:33:24 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, January 06, 2016 12:07:30 PM René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,

> Mostly out of curiosity:
>
> With KDE4, it was possible to build KDELibs with -DINCLUDE_INSTALL_DIR (say,
> ${prefix}/include/KDE4), and this setting would be stored in one of
> KDELibs' cmake modules so that all dependent software knew where to find
> the headers, but also installed its own header files under the same path.

Not really KDevelop-specific; I think you should send this to kde-core-
devel at kde.org instead.

> This has proved to be very valuable to me to prevent header
> conflicts/confusion when building KF5 applications for a prefix that is not
> entirely different.
>
> While the KF5 Frameworks are well-behaved in this aspect, KDE5 as a whole
> seem to have dropped this feature of defining a global header "prefix". The
> Frameworks headers end up in ${prefix}/include/KF5, but most if not all
> others under ${prefix}/include . I haven't tried this, but I have good
> reason to believe that this will lead to problems building KDE4 for
> whatever prefix if KF5 is installed into /usr ; in my experience it is near
> impossible to prevent the compiler from finding headers in a default search
> location like /usr/include or /usr/local/include even when trying to do a
> build for a prefix that should be independent (like /opt/local).

Work-around: Make double-sure that KF5/KDE5 include paths come before the sys
includes carrying KDE4 headers.

Definitely doable, not impossible. Been there quite a few times while porting
applications to KF5.

> Is there a specific reason why there is no more "global" support for a
> dedicated header install prefix, or have I simply missed it because it is
> now available in some other way?

As I said, this is kde-core-devel material.

My take: Any library shipping headers should install them into a well-defined,
and separate prefix, as a good-practice anyway.

Cheers,
Kevin