We need to get the GSoC 2016 ideas page filled NOW

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Feb 15 12:26:06 UTC 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 3:40:29 AM CET Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > we need to fill in the GSoC idea page ASAP:
> >   https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2016/Ideas
> >
> > Deadline is Feb 19th (KDE's application needs to be sent out at this day!)
>
> Already? XD these google people could cut some slack! code-in just ended...
>
> > My GSoC ideas for this year, sorted by importance (most important first):
> > * KDevelop: Compiler Kits (pretty similar to what QtCreator offers)
> > * KDevelop: LLDB support for all major platforms
> > * KDevelop: Improve QML/JS integration: Module path dialog, proper
> > handling of QRC imports, navigation for 'import ...' lines, etc.

+2 to all of those. And I actually think that having a limited set of topics
available for GSOC is not a bad idea. We only have a few mentors after all. I
also think that the above are the most important areas we need to work on.

> > * KDevelop: Go language integration

Sounds cool, similar for Rust. But do we have a mentor for that?

> > * KDevelop: Phabricator integration: Open reviews, tasks, etc.

Is that enough for a GSOC? Maybe pair it with reviving the project dashboard?

> Yes to all of them.
>
> I might add:
> * Improve C integration (In fact I have no idea how handy that is
> nowadays). Also maybe kernel tooling?

Not enough work for a GSOC (see Kevin's reply).

> * Help web development somehow? somebody was talking to me about [1]
> today, maybe there's other things that can be done. Or maybe not, and
> that's why these people are just happy with atom and sublime.

I think we are lacking a proper mentor for that. Though I would be OK with
mentoring a student on improving the PHP language support to add PHP 7
features. It's questionable though whether we find a capable student
interested in that...

> * polish platforms? Could include CI and such...

Maybe a bit too broad a topic for GSOC? Or maybe I'm not getting what you have
in mind ;-)

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff